Maldives Denies Approving Indian Consulate in Addu Despite Previous Gov’t Announcement

- The Maldives Foreign Ministry denied that the government has approved establishing an Indian consulate in Addu City.
- The denial contradicts a 2024 announcement saying both countries agreed to work towards setting up the consulates.
- India's High Commissioner reaffirmed the Addu consulate as part of efforts to deepen bilateral ties.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has denied that the Maldivian government has approved the establishment of an Indian consulate in Addu City, despite a 2024 government announcement stating that the two countries had agreed to work towards setting up the diplomatic missions.
The ministry’s clarification comes after Indian High Commissioner Balasubramanian said the two countries had agreed to establish an Indian consulate in Addu during an interview with AdduLIVE published on Tuesday.
The High Commissioner said the Indian mission in Addu would form part of efforts to strengthen ties between the two countries and expand cooperation in political, economic, digital, energy and defence sectors. He also said India supported establishing a Maldivian consulate in Bengaluru.
However, the Foreign Ministry has now clarified that the government has not approved the establishment of an Indian consulate in Addu.
The latest clarification appears to contradict the wording of a statement issued by the President’s Office in October 2024 following President Dr Mohamed Muizzu’s state visit to India.
At the time, the President’s Office reported that the Maldives and India had agreed to “work positively towards establishing” a Maldivian consulate in Bengaluru and an Indian consulate in Addu City. The statement said the proposed consulates were intended to expand trade and economic cooperation and strengthen people-to-people contacts.
The same understanding was included in the Maldives-India Vision for a Comprehensive Economic and Maritime Security Partnership adopted during Muizzu’s 2024 state visit. The document said both sides had agreed to work positively towards establishing the two consulates, recognising their potential to boost trade, economic cooperation and people-to-people links.
The wording of the 2024 announcement did not state that final approval had been granted by the Maldivian government. Instead, it described the countries as agreeing to work towards establishing the consulates.
The issue has been under discussion for several years. India’s Union Cabinet approved the establishment of a consulate in Addu in 2021, but the proposal required approval from the Maldivian government before it could proceed.
The proposed consulate has also been politically contentious in the Maldives, with opposition to the plan emerging during the previous administration.
The latest comments from the High Commissioner indicate that India continues to regard the Addu consulate as part of efforts to deepen bilateral relations.
According to AdduLIVE, High Commissioner Balasubramanian said India’s priority was to implement the areas of cooperation agreed under the bilateral “Vision Document”. He also described the Maldives and India as close neighbours with longstanding ties based on mutual respect, cooperation and shared interests in the Indian Ocean.
The proposed consulate would also provide a diplomatic presence in the south, potentially making consular services more accessible to residents of Addu and surrounding atolls.
For now, however, the Foreign Ministry’s clarification means that the establishment of the Indian consulate in Addu remains without formal approval from the Maldivian government, despite the two countries having previously announced their intention to work towards establishing it.
